Monday, August 20, 2012

Those Modern Gadgets- Like Dryers & Dishwashers


For the first couple weeks we didn't have a washing machine and we trekked down to the laundromat and made do. The water was being tested so we used bottle water to brush our teeth and drink and make food. No dryer. No dishwasher. No washing machine. No tap water.
So much of those modern conveniences are part of our daily lives that without them, it is challenging. But of course, they weren't always there. There was time not that long ago in history when these things did not exist.


When I was a teenager I used to tell my mother that I when I graduated high school I would go and live in the little shack that rested at the top of a hill surrounded by herds of sheep. I said that I would live there without water and electricity by myself and learn what it was like- learn about the old ways of doing things.
But I didn't. I didn't pursue it. I lived in a renovated barn loft and then an apartment but never a little shack without all those conveniences.


Here, we lived without for about 2 weeks and got used to it rather quickly. We developed the habits around the little missing pieces so when the tap water came back clean it was odd to know we could drink it and use it. When the washer was hooked up we were elated to do it right there in the house- can you imagine?? The dishwasher was all hooked up but ended up being broken and the dryer is expensive to connect so we may wait on that considering the issue of the refridgerator's odd behavior and possible demise.



It is all such an adventure with so much to consider and so much adjusting and yet it is simple. It is simple to fill the small tub with soapy water and wash the dishes by hand and then rinse them off. It is simple to hang the laundry up on the giant and wonderful drying rack my mother gave me. It is simple to take the time to do things with a slower pace and more consciousness. But how often do we really take that time?

No comments:

Post a Comment