Monday, November 26, 2012

Crazy Cabinets in the Kitchen




This old house has its issues and the kitchen which appeared in the photos to be the one room that was pretty much redone has issues too. The stick on floor tiles are popping up, the counter was never screwed down and squeaks when you lean on it and those cabinets look nice but, though solid wood (thank goodness!) are cheap and sort of, well, plain- for this momma's wild taste.
So, I considered the chalkboard paint option- one that we love, love, love but getting a bunch of colors at $13 to $15 a quart was a bit pricey on a budget that is $0. So, I went back to the drawing board. I considered painting patterns or taking panels out and inserting mesh or other things we could find to make funky door panels but then a new friend said "What about fabric?" And it evolved. What if I Mod Podged fabric on to the panel of each cabinet- except for the ones I paint with chalkboard paint?
So, the work began.

 

I carefully took each door down- some days it was one or two at a time and some days I took a bunch at a time. Between filling orders and working odd hours at my part time job, I finally finished. When I put the final coat of chalkboard paint on the three chosen panels, I sat back. The kitchen was full of color and fun and funky and suddenly everyone wanted to be in there.


The ingredients? Well, that would be: fabric, cabinet door, Mod Podge, a little cheap paint brush, foam applicator/brush thingy & polyurethane. I followed the rhythm of cutting the fabric to panel size, applying Mod Podge to the panel, carefully putting the fabric on the panel and then Mod Podging over the fabric. I did two coats of Mod Podge and once that was all done and dry, I did two coats of polyurethane. And suddenly I had cabinets that I no longer wished to replace- EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment