Sunday, August 12, 2012

The People In This Place


Barbara Kingsolver once wrote that you don't buy a house but the land it sits on- the house is transitory. I understand that-- though houses are like souls to me and I also buy for the house though I can see why the land, forever there, is so important and can so easily trump the house that sits on it.
I feel that way about places too. A town could be as pretty as could be but if the people are haughty or rude or dispassionate, well, then why linger there for long? If a town is ragged around the edges and perhaps not quite the pretty little place it could be but the people are kind and friendly and full of good heart and soul, well, that would be a place to settle in and really live. You don't go just for the way the town looks, the people are what make it up.


I moved from a city that was full of wonderful people. Granted, there was a tendency among some of the populace to embrace the "hipster" movement which was pretty hard to handle at times. -- But there were remarkable people drawn into that city, living out their lives and dreams and I was lucky enough to know them and share some of this remarkable life with them.-- And then I moved and wondered who would be waiting on the other end.
I have yet to fully explore the local populace but I have been so cheered by the good souls I have met so far. The neighbors were friendly and helpful from the first day- one even hugging me, so happy to have met us. Then there was the man who helped with our jungle of a property by bringing in his equipment to mow- friendly, well traveled, cheerful, liberal and (bless my lucky stars!) an old hippy. Next was the plumber, one of those quiet men who bring comfort and calm and the few words they speak are easy and mellow- he is a gem. And then, the electrician, kind, funny, full of good information and ready to show up if I need anything at anytime- with his handgun at the ready if necessary (this last was startling but comforting at the same time- something I never would have guessed).


All of them good hearted and honest- and, small towns being what they are, we have discovered that they know everyone and there seem to be a lot of cousin connections going on from all directions. So, far, what I was afraid was going to be the "boondocks" are, in fact, far from it- there is internet and cell phones and all the latest and newest. But I have stepped into a place where things are slower. The people rely on each other and live what seems so far, to be a slower and simpler life and though I haven't yet settled, I can see how one might slip into a life of simplicity here and I am ready for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment