Wednesday, August 8, 2012

And the Paddle Goes Up


It's time, I had to do it, so, I did. I loaded into the car with the children and my husband and we hit the auction house.
I milled around and tried to look seasoned and in control. I didn't care about that dresser that I really wanted- I didn't- really. And that pretty bookcase, couldn't give a rat's ass- about it. That's right, look at my ability not to be so attached that I enter into a bidding war. Oh yeah. No bidding war.
Then the bidding started and that auctioneer did such a good job doing his job that I was grateful none of the things I was interested in were up. By the time the pieces I liked went up, I was understanding him better and had watched enough to be cool when I finally raised my paddle. I even had that serious, "No" shake of the head down when he looked at me to see if I would go up in price as he spoke faster than anyone I had ever heard.


No, I wouldn't go higher than $9 for three typeset drawers for display so I shook my head looking as serious and seasoned as I could. $9 that's crazy- of course I've never seen them that cheap anywhere but my fear of reckless bidding was taking hold at that point.
I set my prices in my head and would not go over them, I promised myself. So, I didn't. Except when I misunderstood him about this really lovely bookcase that I wanted that was in really bad shape and I didn't want to go more than $15 on it but I didn't understand him and was up at $25 before I knew it and was relieved to be outbid by someone else who carted it away for $35.
Things move fast over there and if I had money to burn it would be a heck of a lot of fun to go to auctions. Seriously, that would be bad habit to kick- like gambling.


So, I will have to promise myself that I will only go if I need something and make sure that I have my pricing set in advance. I'm gonna have to give it another go though since there are steals to be had- giant antique mirrors for $5 and dressers for $10- seriously.
Maybe there are livestock auctions- there's something I've had a lot more experience with but I'm afraid there's a lot more concern there, perhaps I should shy away from those- adopting 2 llamas, 16 chickens, 42 ducks, a three legged pig, an elephant, four zebra and angry donkey would probably be what I came home with if I wasn't careful and then where would we be? Then again......

No comments:

Post a Comment