Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Great, Now That I've Discovered This, I'm Leaving- Brilliant


We've discovered the joys of the public outdoor pool.
Oh yes, one might say, "Uh, gross- all those bodies and the hot sun overhead- sweat and germs- yuck!" To which I would reply, "Don't knock it til you've tried it, baby."
We ventured out to the Westside of our fair city to investigate the giant outdoor pool that is supposed to boast a long slow waterside, a mini water slide, a very long slow current and- gasp- A diving board and 12ft deep end. No way.
Oh it boasted it all for good reason- it's pretty fantastic!
Having spent the last eight years hearing that whistle at our community center and the yell "No diving!" from the life guards, we got used to the idea that no one allowed diving anymore. I remember diving in the deep end on a real diving board as a child but, alas, it wasn't to be for my children.
Then, we discovered this pool and sure enough- you can dive- for REAL on a REAL diving board. It is the new favorite thing to do and I look at the children and realize that now we have discovered it, we have to leave it behind as well.


So many new joys to be found in our new town but they are unseen and unknown so I can't dangle that carrot in front of them to let them know it will be fun there too. They are complacent for the most part about this whole move thing- except for the angry eldest who mourns the loss of his friends and community- all of it hard won with his golden heart. And the words "You'll make new friends." Is like saying "I'm sorry your dog of 8 years died, we'll get another one." As if something like that can be replaced. I can't think of anyone in my life who is replaceable.
And then there are the things to be done and seen.


But I think, "What have I not seen here? What else am I missing? What should I see before I leave??"
Then I contemplate what I have not seen over there- in that new place that will be our home. The house, for instance, I've never seen the house we will live in- though the tales of it are of epic proportion- "It is amazing. The energy, the architecture! Such character and charm and SO much work- every single room needs serious work- like years of work. But it will be amazing when it's done. Did I mention it was beautiful-- and needs a ton of work."
And I have no doubt that this is all true.
I have never seen the river nearby or the town - or towns for that matter. I have never seen the grocery store or met anyone who lives there.
So many unknowns. Aren't there always?


So, as I leave this place, the place of my familiar that has gone deep to root itself in my spirit- this region where I birthed my children- I think that perhaps the unknowns here will wait for another time- another life even.
But now, now it is time to take my children back to the places I was raised. The place I meant to raise them, where the earth I'm made of in so many ways, is.
And maybe, just maybe, we can walk with open minds and hearts into all the unknowns that await us there.

Of course, we will miss that lovely large outdoor public pool- but who wouldn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment