Sunday, July 29, 2012

Five, Five- Do I Hear Five? Six, Six, Do I Hear Six?


I hear tell of an auction house on other end of this trip and it has peaked my interest. I have only gone a couple times to auctions- with my mother when I was younger and it was quite exciting.
You get caught up in the excitement and have to make sure you don't come home with a $400 toilet seat because that could happen- it's an auction. I have a feeling that that sort of thing happens easily in the beginning and then you get all weathered about it and you develop a thick skin and learn to let it pass you by if it is out of your price range.

But, I will have to go to this place with a little money in my pocket and see what happens. I remember well the flea markets of my childhood where my mother would find the most amazing things- old iron lamps that she rewired and fantastic old furniture she recovered or left as is-- if it could be left- and for so cheap- a couple bucks most of the time.

When I went to a flea market a few years back while visiting family, I was so excited- I was certain I would find cheap hidden treasure. Where I have been living they are rare-- well, the real ones with real old treasures masquerading as junk- don't seem to exist. It was outdoors and there were so many things to see and drool over and then I looked at the prices and realized that everything was very very expensive- like an antique store-- and I was disappointed.


There is something to be said about digging for treasure at a flea market or an auction or a thrift store. There are times when you can't believe your luck-- and others when you wonder whether luck took a vacation.
So, we shall see what pans out when I have that paddle in my hand and a little money in my pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment