Thursday, January 10, 2013

This Time of Year


 At the beginning of the year, there is that feeling, that in breath and holding pattern that occurs as we enter into this in between stage. It is the only time of year I can think of that feels this way. As we hit March, even if it feels as wintery as ever, there is that knowledge that Spring is well on the way.

The summer is that giant out breath- the warmth and light and expansion as people take to the outdoors and revel in the goodness of the greenery and plenty around us. When Autumn comes, there is a coolness in the air and an energy that sparks an awareness and clarity and, when the wind hits us just right there is that moment when you feel you might take flight with the geese over head. Then, with the beginning of winter, there is the excitement of the holidays, holding wonder and promise.
But January & February feel different, they are the thickest part of winter and everything is muffled by snow (in these northern parts, at least) and the world is blanketed in white (well, some of the time). Sometimes, depression can creep up (I know it does for me at times) trying to nestle in and take hold in the quiet and cold.


But, mostly, I feel that there is a silence that comes on tiny feet to rest in one's soul. And I wonder why I so often seek to turn from this chance when, if I sit still enough for long enough, that silence might take hold, settling me into a time of rejuvenation that will serve to prepare my soul for the coming days and seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment