Sunday, September 2, 2012

The View Up Here


The children started school and I was suddenly surrounded by quiet. I haven't ever had that experience- the solitude so often experienced by parents when children shuffle off to school hasn't ever been in my scope of experience.

It has been working at the children's school, one too young for school and/or homeschooling- never me, just me, alone. What a concept. The dogs were here of course- draping their large and small bodies all over the house where ever the sun hit the floor through those many windows. I didn't know what to do. I honestly didn't.

There were so many things I could do- call my mother, workout, clean up, do laundry, bake, felt, walk the dogs, choose paints, go grab those groceries we ran out of- so many options. Of course we had the appointment to have the furnace serviced to prep for those cold months headed our way. So that's what happened- the furnace got up and running (not that it is needed quite yet) and then I walked over to see a neighbor. It was on the way home that I crossed the bridge and looked down at the water below. 
It was flowing slowly (it's still low) and I stopped to watch the fish and the rocks below. The view was amazing and all I could think was "Is this real? Is this what a day alone is like- me, my dogs and the river? Wow."
Maybe I'll get the hang of this soon- or maybe I will flounder a bit and stop to watch the river flow and the leaves turn and fall to earth. We shall see but the view is not to be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment